Sunyani Technical University
- Posted by: collegeghana
- Category: TECHNICAL UNIVERSITIES
Sunyani Polytechnic has now been converted to Sunyani Technical University (STU) with redefined mandate to provide higher education in engineering, science, and technology based disciplines, and technical and vocational education and training, applied arts and related disciplines. This is clearly stated in the Technical Universities Act, 2016 Act 992 passed by the Parliament of the Republic of Ghana and assented to by the President of Ghana on 31st August, 2016.
This conversion has presented the institution with a unique opportunity to reposition itself and elevate technical and vocational education and training as a key provider of highly trained critical human resources for industry to spur on national development. It has also created a clear progression and career path and development for graduates of technical and vocational institutions in the country. Hitherto, such graduates were absorbed midway into mainstream research focused traditional university education, and thus truncating the practical education and training they had received.
Consequent to this new development, STU has submitted several uniquely crafted 4-year Bachelor of Technology programmes to the appropriate national bodies for approval and accreditation as required. These programmes will be offered in addition to the 2-year Bachelor of Technology top-ups for HND graduates and other qualified persons. STU will also continue to run technician and other non-tertiary certificated craft programmes already in existence. Preparations are also underway to seek accreditation for the running of Master of Technology and Doctor of Technology programmes in the foreseeable future.
- Official Website: stu.edu.gh
- Rector: Professor Thomas Kwadwo Djang-Fordjour
- Vice Chancellor: Professor Kwadwo Adinkrah-Appiah
- Registrar: Mr S.A Obour
- Campuses: Sunyani
BACHELOR OF TECHNOLOGY (B-TECH) DEGREE IN BUILDING TECHNOLOGY
Faculty of Applied Sciences
- HND Computer Science
- HND HOTEL, CATERING AND INSTITUTIONAL MANAGEMENT
- General Agriculture
Faculty of Business and Management Studies
- HND Purchasing and Supply
- HND Marketing Department
- HND Accountancy Department
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
- HND Dispensing Technology
Faculty of Engineering
- HND Building Technology
- HND Civil Engineering
- HND Electrical/Electronic Engineering (Computer Engineering Option)
- HND Electrical/Electronic Engineering (Medical Engineering Technology Option)
- HND Electrical/Electronic Engineering (Power Systems Option)
- HND Electrical/Electronic Engineering (Telecommunication Options)
- HND Industrial Arts (Ceramic Arts)
- HND Industrial Arts (Fashion Design Technology)
- HND Industrial Arts (Textiles Technology)
- HND Interior Design and Technology
- HND Materials Engineering
- HND Mechanical Engineering (Automobile Option)
- HND Mechanical Engineering (Plant Option)
- HND Mechanical Engineering (Production Option)
Faculty of Creative Arts and Technology
- HND Fashion Design and Textiles
Faculty of Built and Natural Environment
- HND Building and Technology
- WASSCE/SSSCE/RSA II (New Scheme) Applicants: – Passes in three (3) Core subjects (English, Mathematics/Business Mathematics, Integrated Science/Core Science or Social Studies and three (3) Elective subjects
- GCE ‘A’ Level/RSA lll Applicants: – Candidates must have passes in three (3) GCE ‘A’ Level subjects or RSA Stage lll Passes. In addition to the above requirements, candidates must have GCE ‘O’ Level or RSA II Credit passes in 5 subjects including English and Mathematics. GCE ‘A’ Level Candidates must have a pass in General Paper.
- DBS Applicants: Candidates must have five (5) DBS passes. PLUS 5 GCE O’Level credit passes including English and Mathematics or 5 RSA II credit passes including English & Business Mathematics or 5 WASSCE/SSSCE passes including English and Mathematics.
- LCCI / City and Guilds Pitman’s Qualification: Candidates must have the Advanced Certificate in three (3) relevant subjects plus five (5) passes at the Intermediate Level including Mathematics. Calculation and English Language.
- MATURE APPLICANTS
- Must be at least 25 years old
ii must have at least five (5) GCE ‘O’ level credit passes or five (5) SSSCE/ RSA II passes including English Language and Mathematics.
iii. Must have at least two years working experience
- Must pass a written examination and an interview
- BECE Certificate is a prerequisite for SSSCE/RSA II / WASSCE applicants
This is the only all – female hall in the polytechnic. It was first occupied by students in November 1967 under the Ghana Education Service to start with the training of students in Technical courses. The present members of the hall are known as ‘Ladies.” The hall has 19 inhabitable rooms and presently the total students’ population is 169. Facilities in the Hall include a junior common room, a valley ball pitch, a basket ball court,a football park which about 100 meters away from the hall, and a kitchen which is 50 meters away from the hall that serves food.
Busia Hall is a mixed hall with 187 students in the Main and 163 students in the Annex block. It was the first dormitory used when the polytechnic was a technical institute. Busia Hall was named to commemorate Professor Kofi Abrefa Busia, (former Prime Minister in the Second Republic) when the school was upgraded to polytechnic status. Facilities include a Junior common Room, a mini basket ball court, a standard football pitch and a kitchen that serves food to students. These facilities are 50 meters away from the hall
Cocoa Hall, also known as” Unity Hall”, is a mixed hall with about 383 students. The Hall was originally owned by the defunct State Construction Corporation (S.C.C.). When the polytechnic took over the premises in 2002, it was named the Cocoa Hall.
Getfund hostel is a mixed hostel with modern facilities and original accommodation capacity of 88 rooms. It currently has a student population of 448. Facilities include junior common room, a salon, a barbering shop, a boutique shop and a mini basket ball court. It also boasts of a football pitch and a kitchen that serves food to students.
Sunyani Technical University,
P.O. Box 206, Sunyani – Brong Ahafo
Phone:(+233) 3520 27052 / 24924